Search This Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

Social Networking

So I have just recently made an account on twitter and I must say I am kind of excited about it. For those who don't what twitter is read my last post to find out and then follow me @nkhan88. My girlfriend had been forcing me to make a twitter account for months, but I have told her that I did not have time for this non sense, and it is another thing that I have to keep up with. The fact of the matter is that I just don't like being mainstream, and following what everyone else does and like to be unique and different; that is until I try it for myself. For example, when iPhones first became so popular, I just wanted to be against apple for some just because everyone used to be talking about it. I never wanted to be like one of them and so I thought to stay away from them. However, when I was given a iPod touch as a birthday present by my girlfriend, I immediately fell in love with it. Hmm... it seems to be that I eventually end up doing what she tells me to do. Anyways, I have to say it is not simply just a fad but a much more than that. Even though I was required to make my twitter account for my class assignment, I can see myself using it for many other things, such as for my interest in gaming news. I can now "follow" my favorite game developers and keep up with the things that I enjoy the most. So not only is twitter used for micro-blogging but also to keep up with your interests. For those who don't like sharing every single detail about their life with others, just like me, they can simply not ever "tweet." Those can just have a twitter account to get updates on promotions and things of their interests. In my last blog I talked about twitter and how it was just bunch of status updates, but I have now come to learn it is much more than that. There are so many pieces of information that matter to each other, it may not necessarily be what they are doing through out their day, but it could be information about anything. For example, my girlfriend loves to follow celebrities and keep up with what they are up to, which has no meaning to me, but as I mentioned before I could be following a game developer to find when a game is releasing, which has no meaning to my girlfriend. Now besides status updates there are things that twitter is capable of, click here to find out what they are. Twitter has gained a lot of popularity in a small amount of time because of the smart ideas that were put behind it. To stay mainstream, you must have a twitter account, for your followers sake, like celebrities, even the president of the United States has a twitter. Twitter has became much more than a website with status updates, many companies use twitter to promote their products, or even give out concert tickets to lucky followers, or even have special deals only available through twitter. In a New York Times article, "Tweeting Your Way to a Job," Laura M. Holson explains how twitter along with other social websites have became a necessity for major companies, and how it is important to them to hire people to manage their twitter accounts and how it is important to keep with the mainstream trend. Twitter has actually helped businesses grow indirectly by connecting them with their consumers. This way twitter even plays a part in customer service because businesses directly relate to customers about any issues. Although there are benefits, there maybe some problems with twitter in my opinion. Companies can tweet something that may not represent them, and could cause issues. A twitter account could be hacked and if that were to happen to a someone like the president of United States, then his popularity could go down drastically. Also, for someone who tweets constantly can be stalked easily. It is not always safe to keep your rivals updated on where you are and what you are doing, that could get end up in bad situations. Overall twitter has became a huge part of today's world, and a lot of the current generation is effected by it. It has become much more than a website with status updates but a websites that constantly streams and exchanges data. In the end, if you want to have a laugh about twitter check out this spoof trailer!

1 comment:

  1. I was the same way about apple, I couldn't stand how popular they were until I got an iPod touch for Christmas. After that I've loved apple products, I'm interested in the quickly developing android market though.

    ReplyDelete