Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Twitter discussions

Having a discussion over twitter is completely different from having a discussions over the blackboard discussion board and in class. First of all having a discussion on twitter in my opinion is a lot easier and more accessible than the discussion board. I think to be able to comment, respond or even to contribute in a discussion on the discussion board, requires the user to go navigate through several different pages which I personally find tedious, and I have set up bookmarks from preventing to have to that. However, it is still not the same experience as twitter, like mentioned before its ease of access is very differentiating from anything else. It is much easier to tweet a response or to have a debate through debate, and now its even accessible through smart phones and iPods. That's what makes it different from in class discussions as well, a student has enough time to think and respond to an argument instead of limited time during a classroom session. Also, personally I much rather be sitting in my bed on my laptop with resources available to me to answer a question or prove someone wrong, then sitting in a class with other students staring down at me while I speak and give my point of view which may even be wrong. I think that is my favorite part of twitter, I am not too confident in person or in a classroom, and twitter beats that factor and allows me to be able to contribute without thinking about it twice, where there has been so many times in the past where I have not answered a question or contributed in a class debate just because I am timid. Twitter can also prevent from any real fights or brawls from occurring because you can only read on twitter and not get physically get involved. Also twitter gives everyone a chance to speak where in classroom discussions don't always lead to that whether if it is because of the time or maybe even because the professor has a favorite student. Therefore, experiencing a discussion through twitter maybe the best way to have one compared to any other way but that is only if I personally experience something else that's better.  

1 comment:

  1. Good point, discussing in twitter give me more time to organize my ideas and language. Especially,for those students,english are their second language.

    ReplyDelete